Safety and Tolerability of Preservative-free Polyhexamethylene Biguanide (PHMB) Ophthalmic Solution in Healthy Subjects
This trial is active, not recruiting.
|Treatments||0.04% phmb, 0.06% phmb, 0.08% phmb, phmb vehicle|
|Start date||November 2015|
|End date||March 2016|
|Trial size||90 participants|
|Trial identifier||NCT02506257, 042SI|
Randomized, double-masked, placebo-controlled, multiple center, parallel-group Phase 1 study to evaluate the safety and tolerability of 3 doses of preservative-free PHMB ophthalmic solution compared to placebo in healthy subjects
|Endpoint classification||safety study|
|Intervention model||parallel assignment|
|Masking||double blind (subject, caregiver, investigator, outcomes assessor)|
Number of subjects with adverse events
time frame: up to 21 days from date of randomization
Plasma concentration of PHMB
time frame: Day7 and Day14
Male or female participants from 18 years up to 55 years old.
- able and willing to give informed consent.
- man or woman of any race and 18 to 55 years of age, inclusive.
- Body Mass Index of 20-30 kg/m2
- willing and able to attend required study visits.
- bilateral visual acuity >6/10.
- intraocular pressure (IOP) of 14-21 mmHg.
- ophthalmologic examination without abnormalities.
- medical history without major pathology.
- laboratory test results without deviations from the normal range.
- female subjects of childbearing potential with negative urine pregnancy test and using effective contraception during the study.
- presence of bacterial ocular infections.
- presence of any concomitant ocular pathology.
- performing activities likely to result in an irritated conjunctiva during the study (including heavy alcohol intake, swimming in chlorinated water and heavy smoking).
- contact lenses wearing .
- ocular surface fluorescein staining score >3.
- use of topical or systemic antibiotics, antihistamines, decongestants and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory agents as well as steroids within 7 days before screening.
- known or suspected allergy to biguanides or intolerance to any other ingredient of the test treatments.
- ocular surgery performed within 12 months before screening.
- participation in another clinical study in the preceding 30 days.
- one functional eye.
- pregnancy or breastfeeding.
- use of recreational drugs.
|Official title||Randomized, Double-Masked, Placebo-Controlled Multiple-Dose Phase 1 Study to Evaluate the Safety and Tolerability of Different Doses of Preservative-free Polyhexamethylene Biguanide (PHMB) Ophthalmic Solution in Healthy Subjects|
|Principal investigator||I JE van der meulen, MD|
|Description||The primary objective of the study is to establish the ocular safety and tolerability, and systemic safety of 3 different concentrations of preservative-free PHMB in healthy subjects. Safety and tolerability will be compared to those of a placebo.The PHMB bioavailability in plasma will also be assessed|
Call for more information