Online Program for Young Adult Veteran Drinkers
This trial is active, not recruiting.
|Conditions||aod misuse, aod associated consequences|
|Treatment||personalized normative feedback|
|Collaborator||National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA)|
|Start date||May 2015|
|End date||April 2016|
|Trial size||793 participants|
|Trial identifier||NCT02187887, R34AA022400|
The primary objective of the research study is to test the feasibility of a brief Internet-based intervention to reduce heavy alcohol use among young adult veterans of wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. Veterans are recruited through the social media website Facebook in two phases. In the first phase, investigators collect data from 800 veteran participants to document and analyze drinking norms in this population. In the second phase, investigators use the norms collected in Phase 1 and information from the analyses to develop and pilot test an online intervention with young adult veteran participants. Six hundred participants are recruited through Facebook and randomly assigned to intervention (N = 300) or control (N = 300) conditions. It is hypothesized that those in the intervention condition will drink less at a one-month follow-up period than those in the control condition. Investigators also collect feedback from participants on the usability of the online intervention.
|Intervention model||parallel assignment|
time frame: Past month
time frame: Past month
Male or female participants from 18 years up to 34 years old.
- United States veteran from Operation Enduring Freedom, Operation Iraqi Freedom, or Operation New Dawn who has been discharged or separated from the Army, Navy, Marines, or Air Force and is not currently in the reserves
- between the ages of 18 and 34
- the ability to read English (also a requirement of military service)
- access to a computer and the Internet
- has an email address 6) an AUDIT score of >4 (men) or >3 (women) in order to reach those who may benefit from an intervention targeted toward reducing alcohol misuse
- None besides not meeting inclusion criteria
|Official title||Brief Online Intervention to Reduce Heavy Alcohol Use Among Young Adult Veterans|
|Principal investigator||Eric R Pedersen, PhD|
Call for more information