A Multi-center Study a Single IV Infusion of Allogeneic MPCs in Patients With Rheumatoid Arthritis and Incomplete Response to at Least One TNF Alpha Inhibitor
This trial is active, not recruiting.
|Treatments||allogeneic mesenchymal precursor cells, normal saline|
|Start date||May 2013|
|End date||May 2016|
|Trial size||48 participants|
|Trial identifier||NCT01851070, MSB-RA001|
Study is a double-blind, randomized, placebo controlled, dose escalating study. The primary objective of this study is to evaluate the safety, tolerability and feasibility of a single intravenous infusion of allogeneic mesenchymal precursor cells (MPCs) compared to placebo at 12 weeks post-infusion in the treatment of patients with active rheumatoid arthritis (RA) who have received methotrexate +/- other DMARDs for at least 6 months prior to screening and who have had an incomplete response to at least one TNF-alpha inhibitor.
|United States||No locations recruiting|
|Other countries||No locations recruiting|
|Gilbert, AZ||Arthrocare Arthritis Care and Research PC||no longer recruiting|
|Los Angeles, CA||UCLA||no longer recruiting|
|Upland, CA||Inland Rheumatology Clinical Trials Incorporated||no longer recruiting|
|Ocala, FL||Ocala Rheumatology Research Center||no longer recruiting|
|Baltimore, MD||JHU Arthritis Center Baltimore||no longer recruiting|
|Frederick, MD||Arthritis Treatment Center||no longer recruiting|
|Rochester, MN||Mayo Clinic||no longer recruiting|
|Fair Lawn, NJ||Office of Ramesh C. Gupta, MD||no longer recruiting|
|Charlotte, NC||DJL Clinical Research||no longer recruiting|
|Oklahoma City, OK||Health Research of Oklahoma||no longer recruiting|
|Jackson, TN||West Tennessee Research Institute||no longer recruiting|
|Houston, TX||Accurate Clinical Research||no longer recruiting|
|Camperdown, Australia||Royal Prince Alfred Hospital||no longer recruiting|
|Endpoint classification||safety/efficacy study|
|Intervention model||parallel assignment|
|Masking||double blind (subject, investigator, outcomes assessor)|
Evaluation of the safety of a single IV infusion of allogeneic MPCs compared to placebo at 12 weeks post-infusion
time frame: 12 weeks post IV Infusion
Demonstration of efficacy of allogeneic MPCs compared to placebo at 12 weeks post-infusion with MPCs or placebo in the treatment of patients with active rheumatoid arthritis
time frame: 12 weeks post IV infusion with MPCs
Long-term evaluation of safety and efficacy of a singly IV infusion of allogeneic MPCs in patients with active RA who have received methotrexate +/- other DMARDs for at least 6 months and who have had an incomplete response to at least one TNF-alpha inhi
time frame: 78 weeks post IV Infusion
Male or female participants from 18 years up to 80 years old.
- Males and Females ages 18-80 years old
- Active rheumatoid arthritis (RA) disease as per 2010 ACR/EULAR classification criteria for the diagnosis of RA.
- Must be positive for rheumatoid factor and/or anti-cyclic citrullinated peptide (anti-CCP3) but without extra-articular disease or functional limitation
- Patient with active RA defined as:
- 4 tender joints (TJC) count (28 joint count) at screening and
- 4 swollen joints (SJC) count (28 joint count) at screening
- ESR ≥ 28 mm/hr OR hsCRP greater than ULN
- Patient has been taking MTX for at least 4 months with dose and route of administration stable for at least 8 weeks prior to screening
- Patient has had an inadequate response to at least one TNFα inhibitor with last dose at least 6 weeks prior to screening
- Use of oral DMARD (sulfasalazine, hydroxychloroquine, chloroquine and leflunomide) is permitted but must be stable for at least 3 months prior to screening
- Pregnant women or women who are breastfeeding.
- Other investigational therapy received within 8 weeks or five half-lives (whichever is longer) prior to Screening (except as in exclusion #13).
- Known or suspected alcohol or drug abuse within three years preceding Screening.
- Autoimmune disease other than RA (such as systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE), mixed connective tissue disease, scleroderma, polymyositis/dermatomyositis, vasculitis)
- History of or current inflammatory joint disease other than RA (such as tophaceous gout, reactive arthritis, psoriatic arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis or other spondyloarthropathy, Lyme disease). Patients primarily diagnosed with osteoarthritis are excluded.
- Bedridden or confined to a wheelchair or patients with > 3 arthroplasties due to RA.
- History of diagnosed and/or treated malignancy with no evidence of recurrence in past 5 years
- Surgical procedures planned to occur during the trial (these patients may be rescreened following completion of and recovery from the surgical procedure).
- Use of TNFα inhibitor for treatment of RA at time of screening or within the 6 weeks prior to screening.
- Prior use of biologic agent for treatment of RA within 6 weeks prior to screening
|Official title||A Double-blind, Randomized, Placebo-controlled, Dose-escalation, Multi-center Study a Single Intravenous Infusion of Allogeneic Mesenchymal Precursor Cells (MPCs) in Patients With Rheumatoid Arthritis and Incomplete Response to at Least One TNF Alpha Inhibitor.|
Call for more information