An Open-label, Dose Escalation, Pharmacodynamic, Pharmacokinetic, and Effect of Food Phase 1 Study of E7820 to Determine the Maximum Tolerated Dose Following Twice Daily Oral Administration in Subjects With Unresectable Solid Tumors
This trial is active, not recruiting.
|Condition||advanced solid tumors|
|Start date||July 2011|
|End date||April 2014|
|Trial size||41 participants|
|Trial identifier||NCT01773421, E7820-E044-110|
This study consists of two Parts. Part A (Food Effect Study) and Part B (Determination of MTD for BID Dosing).Part A will be initiated first, and Part B will be initiated after the PK results of Part A have been evaluated.
|United States||No locations recruiting|
|Other countries||No locations recruiting|
|Amsterdam, Netherlands||Netherlands Cancer Institute||no longer recruiting|
|Utrecht, Netherlands||University Medical Centre Utrecht||no longer recruiting|
|Glasgow, United Kingdom||Beatson West of Scotland Cancer Centre||no longer recruiting|
|London, United Kingdom||University College London Hospital||no longer recruiting|
|Manchester, United Kingdom||The Christie Hospital||no longer recruiting|
|Newcastle, United Kingdom||Sir Bobby Robson Cancer Trials Research Centre||no longer recruiting|
|Intervention model||crossover assignment|
The effect of a high fat meal on oral bioavailability of 50 mgE7820 in comparison with fasting conditions
time frame: 28-day cycles
Part B MTD Twice Daily (BID) Dosing Schedule:The maximum tolerated dose (MTD) of E7820 administered orally, twice daily (BID).
time frame: 28-day cycles
All participants at least 18 years old.
- Age 18 years or older.
- Histological or cytological evidence of an unresectable or refractory solid tumor.
- Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group (ECOG) performance status less than or equal to 2
- Subjects with known brain metastases will be eligible under the following conditions A. Have undergone complete surgical excision and are more then 1 month post surgery with no radiographic evidence of brain disease recurrence or B. Have undergone stereotactic radio surgery (gamma knife procedure) and are more then 1 month post procedure and with no radiographic evidence of brain disease progression and C. Are asymptomatic and D. Discontinued corticosteroid treatment at least 30 days prior to Cycle 1, Day 1
- Adequate liver function as evidenced by bilirubin less than or equal to 1.5 times the upper limits of normal (ULN) and alkaline phosphatase, alanine aminotransferase (ALT), and aspartate aminotransferase (AST) less than or equal to 3 x ULN (in the case of liver metastases less than or equal to 5 x ULN) In case alkaline phosphatase is greater than 3 x ULN (in absence of liver metastases) or greater than 5 x ULN (in presence of liver metastases) AND subject also is known to have bone metastases, the liver specific alkaline phosphatase must be separated from the total and used to assess the liver function instead of the total alkaline phosphatase.
- Adequate renal function as evidenced by serum creatinine less than or equal to 2.0 mg/dL (177 micro-mol/L) or calculated creatinine clearance greater than or equal to 40 mL/min per the Cockcroft and Gault formula
- Provide written informed consent.
- Are willing and able to comply with all aspects of the protocol.
- Adequate bone marrow function as evidenced by absolute neutrophil count (ANC) greater than or equal to 1.5 x 109/L, hemoglobin greater than or equal to 9 g/dL (5.5 mmol/L) and platelet count greater than or equal to 100 x 109/L.
- Females must not be lactating or pregnant at Screening or Baseline (as documented by a negative beta-human chorionic gonadotropin [beta-hCG] test with a minimum sensitivity of 25 IU/L or equivalent units of beta-hCG). A separate baseline assessment is required if a negative screening pregnancy test was obtained more than 72 hours before the first dose of study drug.
- All females will be considered to be of childbearing potential unless they are postmenopausal (amenorrheic for at least 12 consecutive months, in the appropriate age group, and without other known or suspected cause) or have been sterilized surgically (i.e., bilateral tubal ligation, total hysterectomy, or bilateral oophorectomy, all with surgery at least 1 month before dosing).
- Females of childbearing potential must not have had unprotected sexual intercourse within 30 days prior to study entry and must agree to use a highly effective method of contraception (e.g., total abstinence, an intrauterine device, a double-barrier method [such as condom plus diaphragm with spermicide], a contraceptive implant, an oral contraceptive or have a vasectomized partner with confirmed azoospermia) throughout the entire study period and for 30 days after study drug discontinuation. If currently abstinent, the subject must agree to use a double-barrier method as described above if she becomes sexually active during the study period or for 30 days after study drug discontinuation. Females who are using hormonal contraceptives must have been on a stable dose of the same hormonal contraceptive product for at least 4 weeks prior to dosing and must continue to use the same contraceptive during the study and for 30 days after study drug discontinuation.
- Male subjects must have had a successful vasectomy (confirmed azoospermia) or they and their female partners must meet the criteria above (i.e., not of childbearing potential or practicing highly effective contraception throughout the study period and for 30 days after study drug discontinuation). No sperm donation is allowed during the study period and for 30 days after study drug discontinuation.
- Leptomeningeal metastases or brain metastases (except as for inclusion criteria #4).
- Active hemoptysis (at least 2.5 mL [0.5 teaspoon] bright red blood) within 3 weeks prior to the first dose of study drug.
- Hypersensitivity to sulfonamide derivatives.
- Subjects who have had radiation to greater than or equal to 30% of their bone marrow.
- Subjects who require therapeutic anti-coagulant therapy with warfarin or related vitamin K antagonists. Prophylactic doses of heparin or low molecular weight heparin or thrombin inhibitors may be used in place of warfarin.
- Left ventricular ejection fraction less than 50% on echocardiography or MUGA scanning.
- Anticancer therapies that have not been completed at least 28 days (42 days in the case of mitomycin C or nitrosoureas) prior to treatment with E7820 (other than surgery or treatment with a protein kinase inhibitor which must have been completed no less than one week prior to treatment with E7820).
- Incomplete recovery from previous radiotherapy, chemotherapy, or surgery other than residual cutaneous effects or stable less than Grade 2 gastrointestinal toxicity.
- History of an ischemic cardiac event, myocardial infarction or unstable cardiac disease within 3 months before study entry.
- A clinically significant electrocardiogram (ECG) abnormality, including a marked baseline prolongation of QTc interval greater than 480 msec.
- Evidence of clinically significant disease (e.g., cardiac, respiratory, gastrointestinal, renal disease) that in the opinion of the investigator(s) could affect the subject's safety or study conduct.
- Concurrent treatment with CYP3A4 inhibitors such as verapamil, cyclosporin, quinidine, erythromycin, mibefradil, clarithramycin and azoles.
- Concurrent treatment with drugs known to be extensively metabolized by CYP2C9 and/or CYP2C19.
- Chronic treatment with known inducers of CYP3A4 within four weeks of receiving treatment with E7820 other than corticosteroids (Appendix 6).
- Subjects who have a positive test result for human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), hepatitis A, hepatitis B or hepatitis C.
- Psychotic disorder(s) or unstable recurrent affective disorder(s) evident by use of antipsychotics or prior suicide attempt(s) within approximately the last 2 years.
- History of drug or alcohol dependency or abuse within approximately the last 2 years.
- Presence of a progressive central nervous system (CNS) disease, including degenerative CNS diseases and progressive tumors.
- Pulmonary lymphangitic involvement that results in pulmonary dysfunction requiring active treatment, including the use of oxygen.
- Use of illegal recreational drugs.
- Any medical or other condition that, in the opinion of the investigator, would preclude the subject's participation in a study.
|Official title||An Open-label, Dose Escalation, Pharmacodynamic, Pharmacokinetic, and Effect of Food Phase 1 Study of E7820, to Determine the Maximum Tolerated Dose Following Twice Daily Oral Administration in Subjects With Unresectable Solid Tumors|
Call for more information