Smoking Cessation Program in the Preadmission Clinic
This trial is active, not recruiting.
|Treatments||smoking cessation counselling group, control group:|
|Sponsor||University Health Network, Toronto|
|Start date||December 2010|
|End date||August 2017|
|Trial size||296 participants|
|Trial identifier||NCT01320462, WS836526|
Main Hypothesis: The multifaceted intervention (preoperative counseling, pharmacotherapy by varenicline and follow up by quit line) in the preoperative clinic is more effective than the simple preoperative smoking intervention (brief advice and provision of information about the quit lines ) in terms of short-term and long-term quit rates
Objectives: To evaluate the effectiveness and feasibility of a multifaceted intervention (preoperative counseling, pharmacotherapy by varenicline and follow up by the quit line) in the preoperative clinic to help surgical patients quit smoking perioperatively and for the long-term.
|United States||No locations recruiting|
|Other countries||No locations recruiting|
|Intervention model||parallel assignment|
pre-surgery counseling for quit smoking
time frame: 1 year after surgery
time frame: 3 months after surgery
Male or female participants at least 18 years old.
- Patients who smoke more than 10 cigarettes per day for more than 1 year
- And had no period of smoking abstinence longer than 3 months in the past year.
- Patients who are scheduled to have any elective surgery next 7 to 60 days. Patients > 18 years of age
- Patients unwilling or unable to give informed consent
- Patients who are pregnant and breast feeding
- Patients with any psychiatric disorder
- Patients who used nicotine replacement / bupropion within previous 3 months
- Cardiovascular disease within the past 6 months
- Any serious or unstable disease within the past 6 months
- Drug or alcohol abuse within the past year.
|Official title||Smoking Cessation Program in the Preadmission Clinic:The Combination of Counseling, Pharmacotherapy and Quit Line|
|Principal investigator||Frances Chung, FRCPC|
Call for more information