Safety and Preliminary Efficacy Study of NeoFuse in Subjects Undergoing Multi-Level Anterior Cervical Discectomy
This trial has been completed.
|Conditions||cervical degenerative disc disease, degenerative spondylolisthesis, spinal stenosis|
|Start date||June 2010|
|End date||July 2013|
|Trial size||24 participants|
|Trial identifier||NCT01097486, MSB-CF002|
The purpose of this study is to evaluate the safety and preliminary efficacy of NeoFuse in subjects with a diagnosis of degenerative disc disease (DDD) at 2 or more adjacent cervical vertebral levels between C3-C4 to C7-T1. All subjects in this study will undergo 2 or 3 level anterior cervical discectomy and fusion with anterior cervical plate fixation.
|United States||No locations recruiting|
|Other countries||No locations recruiting|
|Sacramento, CA||UC Davis Spine Center||completed|
|Santa Monica, CA||The Spine Institute||completed|
|Denver, CO||Denver Spine||completed|
|Loveland, CO||Rocky Mountain Associates in Orthopedic Medicine, P.C.||completed|
|Tallahassee, FL||Tallahassee Neurological Clinic, P.A.||completed|
|Fort Wayne, IN||Fort Wayne Orthopaedics||completed|
|Charlotte, NC||Carolina Neurosurgery and Spine Associates||completed|
|Austin, TX||Central Texas Spine Institute||completed|
|Endpoint classification||safety/efficacy study|
|Intervention model||parallel assignment|
|Masking||single blind (outcomes assessor)|
To determine the safety of NeoFuse using physical examinations, vital signs, treatment emergent adverse events (TEAEs), and the results of clinical lab tests (hematology, serum chemistry, inflammation, and and immunology).
time frame: 2 years
To evaluate the fusion success with NeoFuse compared to allograft spacer using CT scans and x-ray of the involved cervical spine levels and assess the change in outcomes (NDI, SF-36, Zung Depression Questionnaire, and WPAI.
time frame: 1 years
Male or female participants from 18 years up to 70 years old.
- Male or females between 18 and 70 years of age, inclusive.
- Has the ability to understand the requirements of the study, to provide written informed consent, and to comply with the study protocol.
- Has the ability to understand and provide written authorization for the use and disclosure of personal health information (PHI) [per Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) privacy ruling in the US].
- Has a documented symptomatic diagnosis of DDD at C3-C4 to C7-T1.
- Has symptomatic radiculopathy and/or myelopathy correlating to radiographic findings of duration of 6 weeks or greater that had failed to respond to non-operative management
- Is a candidate for anterior cervical discectomy and fusion in two or three adjacent cervical interbody levels between C3-C4 to C7-T1
- Has a stable screening electrocardiogram (ECG), as determined by the investigator that would not preclude surgery.
- Female subjects who are pregnant or nursing, or women planning to become pregnant during the first year (12 months) following surgery.
- Has a current or prior history within the last 3 years of neoplasm (excluding basal cell carcinoma) and/or any active neoplasm within the last 24 months, prior to screening.
- Has at the time of surgery a systemic or local infection at the site of proposed surgery.
- Has or is undergoing revision of a prior fusion surgery at any involved level.
- Requires ACDF at only one cervical interbody level or more than 3 adjacent cervical interbody levels.
- Requires ACDF without the use of an anterior cervical plating system.
- Has osteoporosis as defined by a DEXA T score of ≤ -3.0 or a history of fragility fractures or other significant bone disease contraindicating the use of spinal instrumentation.
- Has a documented medical history or radiographic evidence of a metabolic bone disease or other condition which would negatively impact the bone healing process.
- Has a positive screen for human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) antibodies.
- has had treatment with any investigational therapy or device within 6 months of study surgery and/or plans to participate in any other allogeneic stem cell/progenitor cell therapy trial during the 2-year follow-up period.
- Has been a recipient of prior stem cell/progenitor cell therapy for spinal fusion surgery.
- Has 20% or greater anti-human leukocyte antigen (HLA) antibody titer and/or has antibody specificities to donor HLA antigens.
- Is transient or has been treated in the last 6 months before enrollment for alcohol and/or drug abuse in an inpatient substance abuse program.
|Official title||Phase 2 Study Evaluating Safety and Preliminary Efficacy of NeoFuse When Combined With MasterGraft Matrix in Subjects Undergoing Multi-Level Anterior Cervical Discectomy and Fusion With Anterior Cervical Plate Fixation|
|Description||This is a prospective, multicenter, randomized, single-blinded, controlled study evaluating safety and preliminary efficacy of immunoselected, culture-expanded, nucleated, allogeneic MPCs (NeoFuse) combined with MasterGraft Matrix in a commercially available PEEK cervical spacer compared to a cervical Allograft Spacer control in subjects undergoing 2 or 3 level anterior cervical discectomy and fusion with anterior cervical plate fixation. After the screening and surgical visits, each subject will be evaluated clinically and radiographically within 3 days and 30 days after surgery, and at 3, 6, 12, and 24 months after surgery. Subjects will be evaluated at the same time points for safety.|
Call for more information