Study of Adding Cetuximab to Chemotherapy for the Treatment of Advanced and/or Recurrent Cervical Cancer
This trial is active, not recruiting.
|Treatments||paclitaxel, carboplatin, cetuximab|
|Sponsor||National Cancer Institute, Naples|
|Start date||October 2009|
|End date||March 2015|
|Trial size||108 participants|
|Trial identifier||NCT00997009, 2009-010099-74, MITO CERV 2|
This study aims to assess the activity of a combination of cetuximab (weekly) with carboplatin + paclitaxel (every three weeks) comparing it to chemotherapy alone in terms of event-free survival (EFS).
|United States||No locations recruiting|
|Other countries||No locations recruiting|
|Brindisi, Italy||Ospedale Senatore Antonio Perrino||no longer recruiting|
|Cagliari, Italy||Ospedale Oncologico A. Businco||no longer recruiting|
|Campobasso, Italy||Universita Cattolica del Sacro Cuore||no longer recruiting|
|Meldola, Italy||Istituto Romagnolo per lo Studio e la Cura dei Tumori||no longer recruiting|
|Milano, Italy||Istituto Nazionale Tumori||no longer recruiting|
|Modena, Italy||A.O. Unversitaria Policlinico||no longer recruiting|
|Napoli, Italy||A.O. Universitaria Federico II||no longer recruiting|
|Napoli, Italy||Istituto Nazionale dei Tumori , Oncologia Medica - Dipartimento Uro-Ginecologico||no longer recruiting|
|Napoli, Italy||Seconda Università di Napoli||no longer recruiting|
|Padova, Italy||Istituto Oncologico Veneto||no longer recruiting|
|Perugia, Italy||Ospedale Silvestrini||no longer recruiting|
|Roma, Italy||Istituto Regina Elena||no longer recruiting|
|Roma, Italy||Universita Cattolica del Sacro Cuore||no longer recruiting|
|Trento, Italy||Ospedale S. Chiara||no longer recruiting|
|Udine, Italy||A.O. di Udine S. Maria della Misericordia||no longer recruiting|
|Endpoint classification||safety/efficacy study|
|Intervention model||parallel assignment|
event free survival
time frame: after 3 and 6 cycles of treatment, and every 3 months thereafter
time frame: after each treatment cycle
time frame: 18 months
skin toxicity and correlation with cetuximab activity
time frame: after 3 and 6 cycles of therapy, and every 3 months thereafter
EGFR/KRAS expression and correlation with cetuximab activity
time frame: at 18 months
Female participants at least 18 years old.
- Advanced and/or metastatic cervical cancer patients untreated or having failed only one previous chemotherapy (with at least 6 months of progression free interval, with or without concomitant or sequential radiotherapy).
- At baseline, presence of at least one measurable target lesion (a lesion that can be accurately measured in at least one dimension i.e. longest diameter at least 20 mm with conventional CT scan or at least 10 mm with spiral CT scan according to RECIST Criteria).
- Not amenable to surgery and/or radiotherapy.
- PS 0-1 according to ECOG.
- Age >18.
- Life expectancy of at least 3 months.
- Adequate organ functions
- Hematopoietic: Leukocytes > 3,000/mm3; Absolute neutrophil count > or = 1,500/mm3; Platelets count > or = 100,000/mm3; Hemoglobin > or = 9 g/dL
- Hepatic: AST and ALT < or = 3 times upper limit of normal (ULN)*; Alkaline phosphatase < or = 3 times ULN*; Bilirubin < or = 1.5 times ULN *: < or = 5 times ULN if liver metastases are present
- Renal: Creatinine clearance > or = 45 mL/min
- No other invasive malignancy within the past 5 years except non-melanoma skin cancer.
- All radiology studies must be performed within 28 days prior to randomization.
- Absence of any psychological, familial, sociological or geographical conditions potentially hampering compliance with the study protocol and follow-up schedule.
- Written informed consent.
- Pregnant (potentially fertile patients must use contraceptive measures to avoid pregnancy during and for at least 3 months after study participation and must have a negative serum pregnancy test at baseline).
- Patients should not be breast-feeding during treatment and for 2 months following the end of treatment.
- More than one previous chemotherapy line.
- Active infection requiring antibiotics.
- Symptomatic peripheral neuropathy >grade 2 according to the CTCAE.
- Congestive heart failure or angina pectoris even if it is medically controlled. Previous history of myocardial infarction within 1 year from study entry, uncontrolled high risk hypertension or arrhythmia.
- Known hypersensitivity to the study drugs or to drugs with similar chemical structures.
- Concurrent treatment with other experimental drugs.
- Participation in another clinical trial with any investigational drug within 30 days prior to study screening.
|Official title||Randomized Phase II Study of Carboplatin and Paclitaxel +/- Cetuximab, in Advanced and/or Recurrent Cervical Cancer|
|Principal investigator||Sandro Pignata, M.D., Ph.D.|
|Description||The poor long-term results in the standard treatment of chemotherapy for cervical cancer make research into new, more beneficial treatment strategies necessary. Cetuximab is a new type of drug that blocks the epidermal growth factor receptor (anti-EFGR), and has shown significant activity in other cancers (colon, head and neck) where expression of EGFR is high. Cervical cancer cells express EGFR in a very high proportion of cases, especially in recurrent or resistant disease. This study evaluates the activity of the addition of cetuximab to full doses of carboplatin and paclitaxel.|
Call for more information